The above image shows the Juabar Design unit in a Tanzanian village.
Subscribe with iTunes for iPhone or Stitcher for Android.
This episode is part of a podcast series called “Entrepreneurs & Economic Development” talking to entrepreneurs using business and technology to solve problems at the Bottom of the Pyramid. Listen to the interview by clicking play above.
Olivia Nava, CEO of Juabar Designs a solar cell phone kiosk business out of Tanzania.
You will learn:
- Olivia’s Background, Non-Profits to Business School
- Advice for College Graduates looking to work Internationally
- The History of Juabar
- How they select entrepreneurs at the village level
- How they measure Success
- Juabar’s phone charging franchise on wheels
- Linking the formal & informal economies in Emerging Markets
- Tides Foundation
- The California Endowment
- California College of the Arts, MBA in Design Strategy
- Mozambican Civil War (wiki)
- Stanford’s Design for Extreme Affordability Class
- Juabar’s Crowdfunding Campaign
- Ryan’s Kenya Teaching Project (UBC Sauder Africa Initiative)
- SMS Financials – inVenture
- Unreasonable Institute
- iHub Nairobi
- Kinu – Shared Office Space – Dar Es Salaam
- ARTI Energy
Olivia and Juabar’s info:
Feel Free to Comment or Connect
- Leave a Comment Below
- Twitter: @Fetterly_BC
- Or Contact Page
- Facebook: Like Entrepreneurs & Economic Development
If you have any questions for Ryan, Olivia or recommendations for future interviews please place them in the comments section.