The image above shows the opening of a Penda Health Clinic.
This episode is part of a podcast series called “Entrepreneurs & Economic Development” talking to entrepreneurs using business and technology to solve problems at the Bottom of the Pyramid. Listen to the interview by clicking play above.
Subscribe with iTunes for iPhone or Stitcher for Android.
Stephanie Koczela is the co-founder of Penda Health, a Kenyan company providing high quality affordable health services around Nairobi.
You will learn:
- How a paper on maternal health in Kenya sparked the interest of an American exchange student in Nairobi that blossomed years later into Penda Health
- From Conversation to Clinic in 6 months : The birth of Penda Health
- Piloting 101: Open good clinics, be nice to people, see if patients come
- 3 Key Customer Service Factors:
- a Smile
- a Balloon (for Kids)
- Greet all customers like you would your grandmother
- Impact Investing, Patient Capital & Crowdfunding
- Running a clinic starts with a landlord, replacing plumbing and electrical and ends with keeping your staff and customers happy
- How to pick a clinic location
- 1) Density
- 2) Insurance Levels
- 3) Ability to pay
- 4) Great landlords!
- Stephanie’s wish : A weigh scale that can stand up to difficult African conditions and high use
- Stephanie’s Nairobi Gems:
- Nairobi West – South C (Chicken Roasters – Outdoor Area)
- Awash – Ethiopian Restaurant
Great Quotes2 Main factors in choosing to deliver in hospital in #kenya - Economics & User Experience @PendaHealth Click To Tweet Average #Kenyan clinic sees 30 patients/day, we see 50-60 - @PendaHealth Click To Tweet How a balloon and a #smile are helping change the face of Kenyan #medical clinics - @PendaHealth Click To Tweet Greet the customer like you would your #grandmother- @PendaHealth #customercare Click To Tweet
- IFC & Goodlife Pharmacies Article
- Maliki Afya
- Bloomberg Article on Nairobi Social Ventures
- Book Tip: Crucial Conversations
Contact info for Stephanie and Penda Health:
Feel Free to Comment or Connect
- Liked the episode? Provide a review with these easy instructions on iTunes or Stitcher
- Or visit the Contact Page