This episode is part of a podcast series called “Entrepreneurs & Economic Development” talking to entrepreneurs using business and technology to solve problems at the Bottom of the Pyramid. Listen to the interview by clicking play above.
Subscribe with iTunes for iPhone or Stitcher for Android.
Ben Lyon is Co-Founder and VP Business Development at Kopo Kopo a platform that enables merchants to accept mobile money. Ben is considered an expert in mobile money and shares his opinions on the future of digital currency in emerging markets.
You will learn:
- While studying informal economies in University and in Uganda Ben experienced the birth of air time transfers and mobile money
- A brief history lesson on M-Pesa
- Fun Fact: Kopo Kopo is an alteration of the Creole phrase Kobboh kobboh meaning money!
- How Kopo Kopo helps merchants manage mobile finance with business tools
- “The Trojan Horse”, electronic payments build the relationship with merchant which opens up doors for future services
- Grow cash advance: a new product using financial data to provide loans to SME clients
- 4 New markets this quarter
- More products in the toolkit to help businesses grow
- The plan, 5 years, 100 million dollar company, serving 1 million merchants
[bctt tweet=”There are over 100 million active #mobilemoney users globally – @Kopokopoinc”]
[bctt tweet=”#MobileMoney is becoming the payment card of the global south – @Kopokopoinc”]
[bctt tweet=”There are more phones in #India than #toilets, talking innovation w @BMLyon “]
- iHub @
- Erik Hersman @
- Ripple Works
- inVenture Episode
- Interesting company: Sari.ph (Based in the Philippines )
Ben Lyon & Kopo Kopo Contact info:
Feel Free to Comment or Connect
- Liked the episode? Provide a review with these easy instructions on iTunes or Stitcher
- Or visit the Contact Page