This episode is part of a podcast series called “Entrepreneurs & Economic Development” talking to entrepreneurs using business and technology to solve problems at the Bottom of the Pyramid. Listen to the interview by clicking play above.
Subscribe with iTunes for iPhone or Stitcher for Android.
Ken Banks is an emerging market mobile technology evangelist, conceptualizing and building FrontlineSMS a product that is used to deliver information to millions of people. Recently Ken wrote “The Rise of the Reluctant Innovator” and has a new project Means of Exchange.
As mentioned during the podcast Ken has graciously offered 3 electronic copies of his book The Rise of the Reluctant Innovator to listeners of Entrepreneurs and Economic Development. The contest runs from now until Wednesday May 6, 2015. Winners will be contacted and announced on an upcoming episode. To enter the contest:
1) Provide a review on iTunes or Stitcher (Click here for instructions) using your name or Twitter handle.
2) Sign up for Ryan Fetterly’s monthly newsletter ‘Inside Emerging Markets’
Bonus: Tweet a link to this episode and tag @Fetterly_BC along with @Kiwanja for an additional entry!
You will learn:
- How Ken went from teaching himself how to program Commodore Pet computers to developing software that is in use in over 170 countries
- The stories behind Ken’s 3 Major Achievements (FrontlineSMS, The Rise of the Reluctant Innovator and Means of Exchange)
- How a social anthropological lens has helped Ken view problems and create solutions
- How building a Ugandan School, a Nigerian Ape Sanctuary and a broken leg led to Ken becoming a global leader in emerging market mobile
- How Ken convinced Stanford to accept FrontlineSMS after being initially rejected, a catalyst in his career
Great Quotes40% of Kenya's #GDP transfers via #mobilemoney - @Kiwanja Click To Tweet #Entrepreneur Advice: Don't think about what you don't have - @Kiwanja Click To Tweet People were laughing when I started working with #Mobile phones in #development - @Kiwanja Click To Tweet How to start a #career in Social #Innovation? #1 Travel #2 Look at International Development… Click To Tweet @FrontlineSMS has become the #Outlook of SMS for many organizations - @Kiwanja Click To Tweet @MeansofExchange is using #technology to make more meaningful local connections - @Kiwanja Click To Tweet
- Means of Exchange
- The Rise of the Reluctant Innovator (Ken’s Book)
- Ashoka Fellows
- National Geographic
- Omidyar Network
- Unreasonable Institute
- Echoing Green
- More information on Digital Finance & PAYG Solar
Contact information for Ken :
Feel Free to Comment or Connect
- Leave a Comment Below
- Or Contact Page
If you have any questions for Ryan, Ken or recommendations for future interviews please place them in the comments section.